Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Miscarriage

Yesterday, I woke to spotting. I called the doctor's office, and they told me to come in that morning for an ultrasound and so they could check me out.

During the ultrasound, the technician couldn't see the baby in my uterus. The most horrible part was that she turned the monitor screen around so that I could see. For some reason, the baby stopped growing at about seven or eight weeks, and there was just nothing there. After consulting with the midwife on call and one of the OBs, I was scheduled for a D&C this morning.

I held it together long enough to get to the car, at which point I completely lost it. I must have sat there wailing for at least five or ten minutes. Then I drove home, called B. and my mom - neither of whom were answering their phones. B. called back about five minutes later and all I managed to get out was, "I lost the baby," before he said, "I'll be right home, hang on."

So, he came home and I cried all afternoon till I finally went to sleep. My mother called about 5:30, which of course started the crying all over again. She told me she would call my dad and asked if I wanted them to come up. I said there wasn't much they could do. She called back about 7 to say that dad had taken off work, they were packing and on their way.

They stayed in Des Moines last night, and managed to get to Ames before I went into surgery this morning. It was no great feat really. I was supposed to check in at 8:30, they didn't wheel me into the prep room until noon. I was one VERY grumpy, hungry patient by then. The worst thing was that I just wanted it all to be over.

When my mom came in she just took me in her arms and let me cry. I have to say it felt really good. Sometimes a girl, even a grown up married one, just wants her mommy.

I was done and out of the hospital by 3 this afternoon. I'm physically fine at this point, just emotionally pretty rattled. I would appreciate it if everyone left the sympathy comments here on the blog. I don't think I can handle e-mails or phone calls at this point.

Thanks

Comments:
I'm so sorry, Tonya. I'm so glad your family is there for you right now. Let us know if you need anything. I'm just a phone call away.
 
God bless, Tonya. You're in my thoughts.
 
Oh, Tonya...I'm so sorry. You and Brad are in my thoughts. Call me if you need me, even if it's in the middle of the night.
 
I'm so sorry :( It's very hard to handle. Just remember that for whatever reason, God called this one home, and it wasn't anything you did or could have done differently. Don't shut yourself off from your friends - they're here for you if you need them.
 
Tonya and Brad,
I am so sorry. This is a hard moment for you. Please let me know if I can help in anyway or if you want to talk. I miss you both.
Love Sal
 
i'm so sorry - let your family take of you for now, and please let me know if we can do anything at all...
 
So sorry for your loss. Please let me know if there is anything we can do. We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
 
Oh, Tonya, I'm so sorry. Call me if you need anything. May God be with you.

Love,
Rebekah
 
Tonya:

I'm so sorry to hear about this. You and Brad are in our thoughts and prayers today.
 
Hey there, kid. Words seem so small at a time like this. I wish I could say something more meaningful than "I'm sorry," but I'm not sure what else there is to say. I love you and I'm thinking about you constantly. (*hug*)
 
I'm so very sorry for you both. Like Kim, I'm glad your family can be with you right now. We're praying for you.
 
I am so sorry. I am praying for you and Brad and your little one.

Sending my love to you all,
Holly Peterson
 
Tonya,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. You and Brad are in my prayers.

Love,
Sondra
 
There are no words to express the kind of sorrow this merits. Please know that you and Brad are both in our thoughts and prayers.
 
Hugs. I'm around if you need me, whenever you need me. I've BTDT five times now, and run through the whole gamut of emotions and hormone swings.

Take it easy for a few weeks, try not to do too much, and deal with the emotions as they hit you, don't bottle it up to deal with later.

You've got my prayers, and you've got my shoulders, too, if you need 'em to cry on.
 
Hey,

blog again, so we know you are okay, 'kay?
 
I second that notion.
 
I third it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?